Tuesday, November 17, 2009

JSTDT - Heavy Heavier Heaviest!!

It rained today when I went to Jaina's school to pick her up and we were just talking about the weather. I tried to explain to her the rain was getting heavier and more difficult to look out of the windscreen.

Jaina agreed and said,"Just now, the rain just a bit heavy. Now the rain is more heavy you know."

I thought about letting that error go as she is actually only 3 but I thought again, if I can reason and teach her the concept of intensifiers, why not?

So I said,"Just now, the rain was heavy but now the rain is heavier, not more heavy dear."

Jaina: "huh?"

Teacher-mummy: "You know, if something is more than heavy, we say it is heavier. So someone who is more than tall, we say tallER."

Jaina just stared at me, so I thought we can try seeing the pattern and fill in the blanks.

Teacher-mummy: "So more heavy is heavier. More than tall is taller. What is more than small?"

Jaina: "Tiny"

Teacher-mummy laughs: "True also but more than small is smallER! So what is more than sweet"

Jaina, very seriously quipped: "I cannot eat more sweet you know!!!!"

Mummy burst out laughing but Jaina looked a little crossed. Probably feeling very self-righteous about mummy offering her forbidden snacks. :P

No comments: